Red Salad with Fruit
I was looking for something new to make for the Holidays so I researched 'Red Salad' online, found a recipe and changed it up to suit my taste. I needed something that my mother would eat because she really watches her diet. This dish turned out so much better than I anticipated.
Hope you enjoy!
(1) head of Purple Cabbage (Get the size that suits how much you want to make. I went with a small head and still ended up with a boat load of salad.)
(1) Red/Purple Onion - small (I ended up only using 3/4 of the onion)
(1) Package of Dried Cranberries - (Go with the size package that suits the amount of salad you are making. I used a med. size package.
(6) Apples - Pink Lady or Jonathan apples work great. Go with a crisp apple instead of a soft apple.
(1) 9-12 oz bottle of Pumpkin Vinaigrette Salad Dressing (If you can't find a pumpkin vinaigrette go with a balsamic vinaigrette.)
(1 & 1/2 - 2) cups of chopped walnuts (I like a lot of walnuts so use the amount to your taste.)
(2) tablespoons of Virgin Olive Oil
(1) tablespoon of natural raw Honey
(2) tablespoons of Red Wine Vinegar
1. Use a salad maker to cut up your cabbage or you can do it by hand. I took out the large white pieces. Place in very large bowl. I used a very large Tupperware bowl with lid.
2. Chop onion into small pieces and place in small bowl (not with cabbage). Cover with cold water and throw in a few pieces of ice and leave for 15-20 min. This removes the bite of the onion.
3. Chop your apples into cubes. I used an apple slicer and left the peeling on the apple for color AND it's good for you. Place apples in the large bowl with cabbage.
4. Add walnuts and cranberries to cabbage mixture.
5. Drain and dry the onion that has been soaking in ice water. Add to cabbage mixture.
6. Toss ingredients well
7. Add olive oil, honey and red wine vinegar, toss well
8. Pour Vinaigrette dressing in over mixture a little at a time, toss, add more dressing, toss, etc.
9. Cover bowl and place in refrigerator over night
10. Serve cold
Hope your family enjoys this dish as much as mine did. Happy New Year!